The aim of this competition, organised by Research in Gender and Ethics (RinGs), a new cross-RPC partnership between Future Health Systems, ReBUILD and RESYST, is to capture the everyday stories of the ways that gender plays out within health systems around the world. The winning entry will be exhibited at the Global Symposium on Health Systems Research, and be used to illustrate our website, and in other published materials with full credit to the photographer.
Gender-sensitive health policy is a feature of international commitments and consensus documents and national-level normative statements and implementation guidance in many countries. However, there are gaps in our knowledge about how gender and ethics interface with health systems. Our project shines a light on some of the ways that gender and health systems come together in a variety of settings. We are looking for photographers who can help us communicate this area of work visually. We welcome images of people of all genders from all areas of the health system, all around the world – be creative!
The deadline for entries is the 1 September 2014.
Photographs will be judged by a panel of gender specialists and a representative from the creative industry. They will be marked according to:
- Their content, i.e. their relevance to subject.
- Their ability to tell the story of gender and health systems, i.e. the message they contain, their creativity. We are looking for original and authentic visual representations of health systems in action.
- The technical merit of the photo, i.e. exposure, focus, colour, lighting etc.
We are looking for images which challenge stereotypes, encourage the viewer to learn more and act differently, and which respect the integrity of any people who may be photographed. There is a rich discussion on the ethics of photography in international development which should help guide entrants. Further information can be found here and here.
Who can enter and how to submit?
Those who have an experience of, or interest in, gender and health systems are very welcome to send images.
Send up to a maximum of three photos by email to RinGs.RPC@gmail.com
- Size: At least 1MB
- Print resolution: 300 dpi
- Format: JPEG or tiff only
- Landscape and portrait images are acceptable
- Although some digital enhancement is acceptable we cannot accept images that have been digitally altered to change what is portrayed.
Send each photo separately and include in your message the following information:
- Name of photographer:
- Photographer email:
- Photographer phone:
- Title of photograph:
- Location (country and city/town/village where the photograph was taken):
- The date (if unknown, please provide the year) each photograph was taken:
- The level of consent provided from any people pictured in the photo (see informed consent guidelines for more information):
Submit your entry
All images should be emailed to RinGs.RPC@gmail.com by the 1 September. We look forward to receiving your entries.